Mobile Hotspot on iPad

dwaynealtondwaynealton Posts: 1Member

Tried Unreal yesterday. Got it activated. Works well.

Successful so far:
1. Using on an iPad Pro, with the iOS profile installed
2. Using on an unlocked (former AT&T mobile hotspot device). Strangely, I didn't have to touch the APN????

Unsuccessful so far:
1. Using mobile hotspot on the iPad.

Questions:

1. Any idea why I don't have to change the APN on the hotspot device? I'm not complaining, just want to make sure there's not an issue later using this way.

2. Any idea why the hotspot feature won't work on the iPad? This would be my preferred method of using the SIM if I can get it to work.

My hypothesis on the iPad issue is that the iOS profile requires two APNs to be specified - one for normal cellular use, the other for mobile hotspot use; and the second value is not set. I don't have a Mac in short proximity to open the profile in Configurator to look through it. And I don't know what will happen if I try to add an APN with my JSON editor, because the profile appears to have certificates embedded

Comments

• MannyManny Posts: 134Member, Moderator mod

@dwaynealton said:
    Tried Unreal yesterday. Got it activated. Works well.

Successful so far:
    1. Using on an iPad Pro, with the iOS profile installed
    2. Using on an unlocked (former AT&T mobile hotspot device). Strangely, I didn't have to touch the APN????

Unsuccessful so far:
    1. Using mobile hotspot on the iPad.

Questions:

1. Any idea why I don't have to change the APN on the hotspot device? I'm not complaining, just want to make sure there's not an issue later using this way.

2. Any idea why the hotspot feature won't work on the iPad? This would be my preferred method of using the SIM if I can get it to work.

My hypothesis on the iPad issue is that the iOS profile requires two APNs to be specified - one for normal cellular use, the other for mobile hotspot use; and the second value is not set. I don't have a Mac in short proximity to open the profile in Configurator to look through it. And I don't know what will happen if I try to add an APN with my JSON editor, because the profile appears to have certificates embedded

Hi, @dwaynealton! You should not have any issues with the hotspot device if you had no need to set up the APN settings. However, with regards to the iPad the hotspot feature, that is not yet available for any of our services. Our development team is working on making this feature available in the future.